The Cleveland Cavaliers are one of the 30 teams in the National Basketball Association (NBA), the most popular and prestigious professional basketball league in the world. The Cavaliers, also known as the Cavs, are based in Cleveland, Ohio, and play their home games at the Rocket Mortgage FieldHouse. The Cavs are members of the Eastern Conference and compete in the Central Division with four other teams: the Milwaukee Bucks, the Indiana Pacers, the Chicago Bulls, and the Detroit Pistons.
The Cavs have a rich history in the NBA, having won one championship in 2016, five conference titles, and seven division titles. The Cavs are also known for having some of the greatest players in NBA history, such as LeBron James, Kyrie Irving, Kevin Love, Mark Price, Brad Daugherty, and Larry Nance. The Cavs are currently led by head coach J.B. Bickerstaff and general manager Koby Altman, who are both in their third season with the team.
In this article, we will provide you with the full details of the Cleveland Cavaliers players salary, coaches salary, highest paid players and lowest paid player, teams, and other relevant information for the 2023-24 season. We will also answer some of the most frequently asked questions about the Cavs and their finances.
Cleveland Cavaliers Players Salary
The Cleveland Cavaliers players salary is the amount of money that the team pays to its players for their services. The players salary is determined by various factors, such as the player’s contract, performance, experience, and market value. The players salary is also subject to the NBA salary cap, which is the limit on the total amount of money that a team can spend on its players. The NBA salary cap for the 2023-24 season is projected to be $136,021,000
The Cleveland Cavaliers have 14 players under contract for the 2023-24 season, with a total payroll of $170,784,042, which is $34,763,042 above the salary cap and $24,703,924 above the luxury tax threshold. The luxury tax is a penalty that a team has to pay if its payroll exceeds a certain level, which is set at $146,080,118 for the 2023-24 season. The Cavs are one of the six teams that are expected to pay the luxury tax for the 2023-24 season, along with the Brooklyn Nets, the Golden State Warriors, the Los Angeles Lakers, the Miami Heat, and the Philadelphia 76ers.
The table below shows the Cleveland Cavaliers players salary for the 2023-24 season, as well as their contract details.
|Player||Position||Age||Base Salary||Likely Incentives||Unlikely Incentives||Trade Bonus||Cap Figure||Cap %||Team %||League %||Cash Remaining||Guaranteed||Expires|
The Cavs also have three players signed to two-way contracts, which allow them to split their time between the NBA and the G League, the NBA’s official minor league. Two-way players do not count against the team’s salary cap or luxury tax, but they are limited to 50 games in the NBA per season. The Cavs’ two-way players for the 2023-24 season are Emoni Bates, Isaiah Mobley, and Craig Porter Jr.
Cleveland Cavaliers Coaches Salary
The Cleveland Cavaliers coaches salary is the amount of money that the team pays to its coaching staff for their services. The coaching staff consists of the head coach, who is the main leader and decision-maker of the team, and the assistant coaches, who help the head coach with various tasks, such as scouting, game planning, player development, and in-game adjustments. The coaching staff may also include other personnel, such as video coordinators, trainers, and analysts.
The Cleveland Cavaliers head coach for the 2023-24 season is J.B. Bickerstaff, who was hired in February 2020 as the interim head coach after the team parted ways with John Beilein. Bickerstaff was promoted to the full-time head coach in March 2020 and signed a multi-year contract extension in November 2020. Bickerstaff has been coaching in the NBA since 2004, and has previously served as the head coach of the Houston Rockets and the Memphis Grizzlies. Bickerstaff’s salary for the 2023-24 season is estimated to be around $4 million.
The Cleveland Cavaliers assistant coaches for the 2023-24 season are Greg Buckner, Omar Cook, Dan Geriot, Sidney Lowe, J.J. Outlaw, Nate Reinking, and Luke Walton. Buckner is the associate head coach, Cook is the player development coach, Geriot is the offensive coordinator, Lowe is the defensive coordinator, Outlaw is the player development coordinator, Reinking is the G League head coach, and Walton is the special assistant to the head coach. The salaries of the assistant coaches are not publicly disclosed, but they are typically in the range of $100,000 to $1 million per year, depending on their experience and role.
Cleveland Cavaliers Highest Paid Players and Lowest Paid Player
The Cleveland Cavaliers highest paid players and lowest paid player are the players who have the highest and lowest base salary, respectively
The Cleveland Cavaliers highest paid players and lowest paid player are the players who have the highest and lowest base salary, respectively, for the 2023-24 season. The base salary is the amount of money that a player is guaranteed to receive from the team, regardless of their performance or incentives. The base salary does not include bonuses, incentives, trade kickers, or other payments that may affect the player’s cap figure or cash earnings.
The highest paid player on the Cavs for the 2023-24 season is Darius Garland, who has a base salary of $34,005,250. Garland is the team’s starting point guard and one of the best young players in the NBA. He was drafted by the Cavs with the fifth overall pick in the 2019 NBA draft, and he signed a five-year, $197,230,450 contract extension with the team in October 2022. Garland’s contract is the largest in the history of the franchise, and it will keep him in Cleveland until the 2027-28 season. Garland is a dynamic playmaker and scorer, who averaged 23.1 points, 7.8 assists, and 1.4 steals per game in the 2022-23 season. He was also selected to his first All-Star game and All-NBA Third Team in 2023.
The lowest paid player on the Cavs for the 2023-24 season is Sam Merrill, who has a base salary of $1,997,238. Merrill is a backup shooting guard and a three-point specialist. He was acquired by the Cavs from the Milwaukee Bucks in a trade in July 2022, along with a 2023 second-round pick, in exchange for Kevin Porter Jr. Merrill’s contract is partially guaranteed, which means that the team can waive him before a certain date and only pay him a portion of his salary. Merrill is a former second-round pick in the 2020 NBA draft, and he played college basketball at Utah State. He averaged 5.2 points and 1.1 rebounds per game in the 2022-23 season, while shooting 41.7% from beyond the arc.
Cleveland Cavaliers Teams
The Cleveland Cavaliers teams are the different groups of players that the team uses for different situations and purposes. The teams are usually composed of five players each, and they are often referred to by their position or role on the court. The teams may vary depending on the coach’s strategy, the opponent’s style, the game situation, and the players’ availability and performance. The teams are also subject to change throughout the season, as the team may make trades, signings, or adjustments to its roster.
The Cavs have several teams that they use for the 2023-24 season, such as:
- The starting team, which is the team that begins the game and plays the most minutes. The starting team for the Cavs is usually Darius Garland (PG), Donovan Mitchell (SG), Isaac Okoro (SF), Evan Mobley (PF), and Jarrett Allen ©. This team is very balanced and versatile, as it has a mix of scoring, playmaking, defense, and rebounding. This team is also very young and athletic, as the average age of the players is 23.6 years old.
- The bench team, which is the team that comes off the bench and provides support and relief for the starters. The bench team for the Cavs is usually Ricky Rubio (PG), Caris LeVert (SG), Max Strus (SF), Georges Niang (PF), and Tristan Thompson ©. This team is very experienced and reliable, as it has a mix of veterans, role players, and former starters. This team is also very capable of scoring, as it has several players who can create their own shots or shoot from the outside.
- The small-ball team, which is the team that uses smaller and faster players to create mismatches and space on the court. The small-ball team for the Cavs is usually Darius Garland (PG), Donovan Mitchell (SG), Caris LeVert (SF), Isaac Okoro (PF), and Jarrett Allen ©. This team is very explosive and dynamic, as it has a lot of speed, agility, and shooting. This team is also very adaptable and flexible, as it can switch on defense and play multiple positions on offense.
- The defensive team, which is the team that focuses on stopping the opponent from scoring and creating turnovers. The defensive team for the Cavs is usually Ricky Rubio (PG), Isaac Okoro (SG), Max Strus (SF), Evan Mobley (PF), and Jarrett Allen ©. This team is very tough and gritty, as it has a lot of length, strength, and intensity. This team is also very disruptive and active, as it can contest shots, block shots, and steal the ball.
The Cleveland Cavaliers are one of the most exciting and promising teams in the NBA, as they have a lot of talent, potential, and depth. The Cavs have a high payroll, but they also have a lot of assets and flexibility to improve their roster and contend for a championship. The Cavs have a loyal and passionate fan base, who support the team through thick and thin. The Cavs are a team to watch and follow in the 2023-24 season, as they aim to make some noise and surprise some people in the league.
Most Asked Questions and Answers
Here are some of the most asked questions and answers about the Cleveland Cavaliers and their finances:
- Q: How much are the Cleveland Cavaliers worth?
- A: The Cleveland Cavaliers are worth $1.6 billion as of February 2023, which ranks them 25th among the 30 NBA teams. The Cavs’ value increased by 4% from the previous year, despite the pandemic and the decline in attendance and revenue. The Cavs’ owner is Dan Gilbert, who bought the team in 2005 for $375 million.
- Q: How much do the Cleveland Cavaliers make in revenue?
- A: The Cleveland Cavaliers made $233 million in revenue in the 2020-21 season, which ranks them 19th among the 30 NBA teams. The Cavs’ revenue decreased by 16% from the previous year, due to the impact of the pandemic and the lack of playoff appearances. The Cavs’ main sources of revenue are ticket sales, broadcasting rights, sponsorships, and merchandise sales.
- Q: How much do the Cleveland Cavaliers spend in luxury tax?
- A: The Cleveland Cavaliers are projected to pay $24,703,924 in luxury tax for the 2023-24 season, which ranks them fifth among the six NBA teams that are expected to pay the luxury tax. The Cavs’ luxury tax bill increased by 48% from the previous year, due to the rise in their payroll and the decrease in the luxury tax threshold. The Cavs have been paying the luxury tax since the 2014-15 season, when they re-signed LeBron James and traded for Kevin Love.
- Q: Who is the highest paid player in the NBA?
- A: The highest paid player in the NBA for the 2023-24 season is Stephen Curry, who has a base salary of $48,000,000. Curry is the star point guard and leader of the Golden State Warriors, and he signed a four-year, $215,400,000 contract extension with the team in August 2021. Curry is a two-time MVP, a three-time champion, and a seven-time All-Star. He is widely regarded as the greatest shooter of all time, and one of the best players in NBA history.
- Q: Who is the lowest paid player in the NBA?
- The lowest paid player in the NBA for the 2023-24 season is Jordan Nwora, who has a base salary of $1,782,621. Nwora is a backup small forward and a second-year player for the Milwaukee Bucks, and he signed a three-year, $4,198,912 contract with the team in November 2020. Nwora was drafted by the Bucks with the 45th overall pick in the 2020 NBA draft, and he played college basketball at Louisville. He averaged 3.7 points and 1.4 rebounds per game in the 2022-23 season, while shooting 40.9% from the three-point line.
- Q: How much does an NBA player make on average?
- A: The average salary of an NBA player for the 2023-24 season is $10,051,000. The median salary of an NBA player for the 2023-24 season is $5,709,877. The minimum salary of an NBA player for the 2023-24 season is $1,782,621, which is determined by the player’s years of service in the league. The maximum salary of an NBA player for the 2023-24 season is $48,000,000, which is determined by the player’s experience, accolades, and the salary cap.
- Q: How much does an NBA coach make on average?
- The average salary of an NBA head coach for the 2023-24 season is $6.4 million. The median salary of an NBA head coach for the 2023-24 season is $5 million. The lowest paid NBA head coach for the 2023-24 season is Wes Unseld Jr., who makes $3 million per year. The highest paid NBA head coach for the 2023