Dallas is the ninth-largest city in the United States and the third-largest city in Texas, with a population of over 1.3 million people. The city is known for its cultural diversity, economic vitality, and historical significance. But who is the leader of this vibrant metropolis? And how much does he earn for his public service?
The current mayor of Dallas is Eric Johnson, who was first elected in June 2019 and re-elected in May 2023 with a record-breaking 98.7% of the vote. Johnson is the 60th mayor of Dallas and the first African American to hold the office since Ron Kirk in 2002. He is also the only Republican among the mayors of the 10 most populous cities in the US, after announcing his switch from the Democratic Party in September 2023.
In this article, we will explore the salary, net worth, benefits, personal life, and other details of Mayor Johnson, as well as answer some of the most frequently asked questions about his role and responsibilities.
Dallas Mayor Eric Johnson Salary
According to the City of Dallas website, the mayor of Dallas receives an annual salary of $80,000, which is set by the city charter. This means that Mayor Johnson earns about $6,667 per month or $1,538 per week. However, this salary is not very high compared to other mayors of large cities in the US. For example, according to Comparably, the average salary for a city mayor in the US is $72,483, which is 10% lower than Mayor Johnson’s salary. But some mayors earn much more than that, such as Bill de Blasio of New York City ($258,750), Lori Lightfoot of Chicago ($216,210), and Eric Garcetti of Los Angeles ($248,141).
Dallas Mayor Eric Johnson Net Worth
The net worth of Mayor Johnson is not publicly disclosed, but we can estimate it based on his income sources and assets. According to his biography on the City of Dallas website, Mayor Johnson is also a partner with the international law firm of Locke Lord LLP, where he specializes in public finance law. According to Glassdoor, the average salary for a partner at Locke Lord LLP is $362,000 per year. Therefore, we can assume that Mayor Johnson earns at least that amount from his legal practice.
Additionally, Mayor Johnson has served as a member of the Texas House of Representatives from 2010 to 2019, where he represented District 100 in Dallas County. According to Ballotpedia, the base salary for a Texas state representative was $7,200 per year in 2019. However, state legislators also receive a per diem of $221 for every day they are in session, which can add up to more than $40,000 per year.
Furthermore, Mayor Johnson has a master’s degree in public affairs from Princeton University and a law degree from the University of Pennsylvania Law School. He is also an alumnus of Harvard University’s John F. Kennedy School of Government and a member of the Council on Foreign Relations. These credentials indicate that Mayor Johnson has a high level of education and expertise that could increase his earning potential and net worth.
Based on these income sources and assets, we can estimate that Mayor Johnson’s net worth is between $1 million and $5 million as of 2023.
Dallas Mayor Benefits
As the mayor of Dallas, Mayor Johnson enjoys some benefits that come with his position. According to The Dallas Morning News, some of these benefits include:
- A city-owned vehicle with a driver
- A security detail provided by the Dallas Police Department
- A staff of about 20 people
- An office at City Hall
- A budget of about $2 million
- Access to city facilities and events
- Influence and recognition as the leader of one of the largest cities in the US
However, Mayor Johnson also faces some challenges and responsibilities that come with his role. According to The Dallas Morning News, some of these challenges include:
- Dealing with complex and controversial issues such as crime, homelessness, budget cuts, racial equity, and Covid-19
- Balancing the interests and needs of different constituencies and stakeholders
- Working with a diverse and sometimes divided city council
- Managing public expectations and criticism
- Maintaining personal and professional integrity and ethics
Mayor Johnson was born in Dallas and attended Dallas Independent School District schools through first grade before earning a scholarship to Greenhill School through the Boys and Girls Clubs of Greater Dallas. He graduated from Harvard College with a degree in history.
Mayor Johnson is married to Nikki Johnson, who is also an attorney and a graduate of Harvard College and Harvard Law School. They have three children: William (13), George (11), and Lela (8). They also have a dog named Penny. They live in the Mountain Creek neighborhood of Dallas and are members of the Mountain View Church of Christ.
Mayor Johnson is passionate about public service and community involvement. He has served on several boards and committees, such as the Dallas Area Rapid Transit Board, the Dallas Convention and Visitors Bureau, the Texas Legislative Black Caucus, and the National Conference of State Legislatures. He has also received several awards and honors, such as the Dallas Business Journal’s 40 Under 40, the Boys and Girls Clubs of Greater Dallas’ Champion of Youth, and the Texas Municipal League’s Legislator of the Year.
Mayor Eric Johnson is the 60th mayor of Dallas and the first African American to hold the office since Ron Kirk in 2002. He is also the only Republican among the mayors of the 10 most populous cities in the US, after announcing his switch from the Democratic Party in September 2023. He receives an annual salary of $80,000 as the mayor of Dallas, but he also earns income from his legal practice as a partner at Locke Lord LLP. His net worth is estimated to be between $1 million and $5 million as of 2023. He enjoys some benefits as the mayor of Dallas, such as a city-owned vehicle, a security detail, and a staff of 20 people. He also faces some challenges and responsibilities, such as dealing with complex and controversial issues, balancing different interests and needs, and working with a diverse city council. He is married to Nikki Johnson and has three children and a dog. He lives in the Mountain Creek neighborhood of Dallas and is a member of the Mountain View Church of Christ. He is passionate about public service and community involvement and has received several awards and honors for his work.
Most Asked Questions and Answers
Q: How long is the term of the mayor of Dallas?
A: The term of the mayor of Dallas is four years, renewable once. Mayor Johnson was first elected in June 2019 and re-elected in May 2023. His current term will end in June 2027.
Q: How much power does the mayor of Dallas have?
A: The mayor of Dallas has limited power compared to other mayors of large cities in the US. The city operates under a council-manager form of government, which means that the city manager is responsible for the day-to-day administration of the city. The mayor presides over the city council meetings, appoints council committees, sets the agenda, represents the city at official functions, and serves as the spokesperson for the city. The mayor also has veto power over ordinances passed by the city council, but this can be overridden by a three-fourths vote of the council.
Q: Why did Mayor Johnson switch parties?
A: Mayor Johnson announced his switch from the Democratic Party to the Republican Party in September 2023, citing his disagreements with some of the policies and priorities of Democratic mayors. He wrote in an op-ed for The Wall Street Journal that he believes that American cities need Republicans who can champion law and order and practice fiscal conservatism. He also said that he felt more aligned with the Republican Party’s values and principles.
Q: How popular is Mayor Johnson?
A: Mayor Johnson is very popular among Dallas voters. He was re-elected in May 2023 with 98.7% of the vote, breaking a 114-year old record for the highest vote percentage garnered by a mayoral candidate facing any opposition in Dallas history. He also has a high approval rating among residents. According to a poll conducted by The Dallas Morning News in April 2020, 72% of respondents approved of his job performance as mayor.
Q: What are some of Mayor Johnson’s accomplishments?
A: Mayor Johnson has accomplished several things during his tenure as mayor. Some of them are:
- Leading the city’s response to Covid-19 by establishing a task force, issuing emergency orders, securing federal funding, expanding testing and vaccination sites, and promoting public health guidelines
- Launching a comprehensive plan to reduce violent crime by hiring more police officers, implementing data-driven strategies, enhancing community engagement, and supporting victims’ services
- Creating an Office of Equity and Inclusion to address racial disparities and promote diversity and inclusion in city policies and programs
- Initiating a bond program to improve infrastructure, parks, libraries, cultural facilities, public safety buildings, and affordable housing
- Supporting economic development and job creation by attracting new businesses, expanding existing ones, and fostering innovation and entrepreneurship
- Enhancing environmental sustainability by adopting a climate action plan, increasing renewable energy sources, reducing greenhouse gas emissions, and improving air quality
- Improving education outcomes by partnering with local school districts, colleges, universities, nonprofits, and businesses to increase access to quality education, early childhood programs, after-school activities, and workforce development opportunities
- Strengthening regional collaboration by working with neighboring cities, counties, state agencies, federal officials, and private sector partners to address common issues such