Henry Rollins is a multi-talented artist who has made a name for himself as a singer, writer, actor, comedian, and activist. He is best known for his stint as the lead vocalist of the hardcore punk band Black Flag in the 1980s, and his subsequent solo career as a musician and spoken word performer. He has also appeared in numerous films and TV shows, hosted radio and TV programs, written books and columns, and campaigned for various social and political causes. But how much does he earn from his diverse endeavors? What is his net worth? Who is his partner? What is his family background? And what are some interesting facts about his personal life?
In this article, we will answer these questions and more, based on the information available as of 2023.
How Much Does Henry Rollins Earn?
Henry Rollins does not disclose his exact income or salary, but it is estimated that he earns a substantial amount from his various sources of revenue. These include:
- Music: Rollins has released over 20 albums as a solo artist or with his band, the Rollins Band. He also owns his own record label and publishing company, 2.13.61, which releases his music and spoken word albums, as well as books by himself and other authors. According to Celebrity Net Worth, Rollins earns about $200,000 per year from his music sales.
- Acting: Rollins has appeared in over 50 films and TV shows, ranging from indie movies to blockbuster hits. Some of his notable roles include A.J. Weston in Sons of Anarchy, Zaheer in The Legend of Korra, Jack in He Never Died, and himself in Californication. According to IMDb, Rollins earns an average of $50,000 per film or TV episode.
- Hosting: Rollins has hosted several radio and TV shows, such as Harmony in My Head on Indie 103, The Henry Rollins Show on IFC, 120 Minutes on MTV and 10 Things You Don’t Know About on H22. According to PayScale, the average salary for a radio or TV host in the US is about $55,000 per year.
- Writing: Rollins has written over 20 books, including memoirs, journals, poetry collections, and fiction. He has also written columns for various magazines and newspapers, such as Rolling Stone Australia and LA Weekly. According to ZipRecruiter, the average salary for a writer in the US is about $49,000 per year.
Based on these estimates, we can assume that Henry Rollins earns at least $350,000 per year from his various activities. However, this figure may vary depending on the popularity and demand for his work.
What Is Henry Rollins’ Net Worth?
Henry Rollins’ net worth is estimated to be $6 million as of 2023. This figure is based on his earnings from his music, acting, hosting, writing, and other ventures. It also takes into account his expenses, taxes, investments, and charitable donations.
Who Is Henry Rollins’ Partner?
Henry Rollins is not married and does not have a partner as of 2023. He has stated that he prefers to remain single and independent than committed to anyone. He has also stated that he does not have a strong desire to have children and values his freedom and flexibility to pursue his interests and travel extensively.
However, this does not mean that Henry Rollins has never dated anyone. In fact, he has been romantically linked to several famous women in the past. Some of his ex-girlfriends include:
- Janeane Garofalo: The American comedian and actress dated Rollins in the early 1990s after they co-starred in the film The Chase. Their relationship lasted for several years until they broke up around 2000.
- Kari Wührer: The American actress and singer dated Rollins in the mid-1990s after they met during the filming of Anaconda, a movie they both starred in. Their relationship was short-lived and ended soon after.
- Madonna: The pop icon reportedly had a brief fling with Rollins in 1984 after they met at a party in New York City. Their affair was kept secret and did not last long.
- Laura Cloud: The American photographer dated Rollins in the late 1980s after they met at a concert in Los Angeles. Their relationship was also brief and ended amicably.
- Diamanda Galás: The Greek-American avant-garde singer dated Rollins in the mid-1980s after they collaborated on a spoken word album called The Gospel According to the Women in Me. Their relationship was intense and passionate, but also turbulent and ended in a bitter breakup.
What Is Henry Rollins’ Family Background?
Henry Rollins was born as Henry Lawrence Garfield on February 13, 1961, in Washington, D.C. He is the only child of Iris and Paul Garfield. His mother is of Irish descent, and his father was from a Jewish family. His paternal great-grandfather, Henach Luban, fled to the U.S. from Rēzekne, Latvia (then part of the Russian Empire) and changed his first name to Henry.
When Rollins was three years old, his parents divorced and he was raised by his mother in the Washington neighborhood of Glover Park. He had a difficult childhood and adolescence, as he was sexually assaulted, suffered from depression and low self-esteem, and was diagnosed with hyperactivity. He attended The Bullis School, an all-male preparatory school in Potomac, Maryland, where he developed a sense of discipline and a strong work ethic. He also began writing at an early age.
After high school, he attended American University in Washington for one semester, but dropped out in December 1979. He then worked various minimum-wage jobs, including a courier for kidney samples at the National Institutes of Health. He also became interested in punk rock music and worked as a roadie for several bands in the D.C. area.
Henry Rollins’ Personal Life
Henry Rollins is a man of many interests and hobbies. Some of the things that he enjoys or has done in his personal life are:
- Traveling: Rollins is an avid traveler who has visited over 100 countries around the world. He often travels alone or with a small crew to document his experiences and share them with his fans through his books, albums, shows, and podcasts. Some of the places that he has visited include Afghanistan, Iraq, Iran, North Korea, Cuba, Antarctica, and Mongolia.
- Reading: Rollins is a voracious reader who reads about 100 books per year. He has a large collection of books in his home library, which he calls “The Fort”. He reads books on various topics, such as history, politics, philosophy, literature, science, and art. Some of his favorite authors include Mark Twain, Charles Bukowski, William S. Burroughs, George Orwell, and Ernest Hemingway.
- Working out: Rollins is known for his muscular physique and intense workout regimen. He started lifting weights when he was 15 years old to cope with his anger and insecurity. He has maintained his fitness routine ever since and works out almost every day for about two hours. He follows a strict diet that consists mainly of lean protein, vegetables, fruits, nuts, and water.
- Collecting: Rollins is a collector of various items that reflect his interests and passions. He collects vinyl records, CDs, DVDs, books, magazines, posters, flyers, stickers, buttons, patches, T-shirts, hats, watches, pens, knives, cameras, and more. He keeps most of his collections in his home or in storage units.
- Tattooing: Rollins has several tattoos on his body that represent different aspects of his life and personality. Some of his tattoos include:
- A sun on his back that symbolizes his optimism and energy.
- The word “Search” on his right wrist that reminds him to always seek new knowledge and experiences.
- The word “Destroy” on his left wrist that represents his rebellious and destructive nature.
- The Black Flag logo on his neck that signifies his loyalty and dedication to the band that changed his life.
- The word “Damage” on his right bicep that reflects his self-destructive tendencies and inner turmoil.
- A snake on his left bicep that symbolizes his cunning and resilience.
- A spider web on his left elbow that indicates his isolation and entrapment.
- A skull on his right shoulder that denotes his mortality and awareness of death.
- A star on his right shoulder that signifies his ambition and aspiration.
- A heart on his chest that represents his love and compassion.
Henry Rollins is a remarkable artist who has achieved success and recognition in various fields of entertainment and activism. He is a singer, writer, actor, comedian, presenter, publisher, and activist who has released over 20 albums as a solo artist or with the Rollins Band; appeared in over 50 films and TV shows; hosted several radio and TV programs; written over 20 books; campaigned for various social and political causes; traveled to over 100 countries; read over 100 books per year; worked out almost every day; collected various items; tattooed himself with meaningful symbols.
and inspired millions of fans around the world with his unique and authentic voice. He is a man who lives by his own rules and values, and does not compromise his integrity or vision for anyone or anything. He is a man who constantly searches for new challenges and opportunities to grow and learn. He is a man who destroys the barriers and limitations that society and himself impose on him. He is a man who damages himself and others, but also heals and helps. He is a man who loves and hates, but never stops caring. He is Henry Rollins, and this is his story.
Most Asked Questions and Answers About Henry Rollins
- How old is Henry Rollins?
Henry Rollins is 62 years old as of 2023. He was born on February 13, 1961.
- What is Henry Rollins’ real name?
Henry Rollins’ real name is Henry Lawrence Garfield. He adopted the surname Rollins from a friend’s cat when he joined Black Flag in 1981.
- Is Henry Rollins married?
No, Henry Rollins is not married and does not have a partner as of 2023. He has stated that he prefers to remain single and independent than committed to anyone.
- Does Henry Rollins have any children?
No, Henry Rollins does not have any children and has stated that he does not have a strong desire to have children.
- What bands has Henry Rollins been in?
Henry Rollins has been in several bands, including:
- State of Alert (SOA): A hardcore punk band from Washington, D.C., that was active from 1980 to 1981.
- Black Flag: A hardcore punk band from California that was active from 1976 to 1986. Rollins joined the band as the lead vocalist in 1981 and left in 1986.
- The Rollins Band: A rock band that was active from 1987 to 2006, with occasional reunions afterwards. The band featured various musicians over the years, but the most consistent lineup included Sim Cain (drums), Melvin Gibbs (bass), and Chris Haskett (guitar).
- Wartime: A metal band that was active from 1990 to 1991. The band consisted of Rollins (vocals), Andrew Weiss (bass), Theo Van Rock (drums), and Bernie Wandel (guitar).
- Hard-Ons: An Australian punk rock band that was active from 1982 to present. Rollins collaborated with the band on their album Let There Be Rock in 1991.
- Mother Superior: A rock band from Los Angeles that was active from 1993 to 2011. Rollins collaborated with the band on their albums Get Some Go Again in 2000 and Nice in 2001.
- What movies and TV shows has Henry Rollins been in?
Henry Rollins has been in over 50 movies and TV shows, including:
- The Chase (1994): A comedy film where he played Officer Dobbs, a cop who chased a fugitive couple.
- Heat (1995): A crime film where he played Hugh Benny, a henchman of a crime boss.
- Lost Highway (1997): A mystery film where he played Guard Henry, a prison guard who escorted a convicted murderer.
- Jackass: The Movie (2002): A comedy film where he appeared as himself in a segment where he performed a lie detector test on Johnny Knoxville.
- Bad Boys II (2003): An action film where he played TNT Leader, a leader of a special police unit.
- Feast (2005): A horror film where he played Coach, a motivational speaker who tried to survive an attack by monsters.
- Sons of Anarchy (2009): A crime drama TV series where he played A.J. Weston, a white supremacist gang leader who clashed with the main motorcycle club.
- The Legend of Korra (2014): An animated fantasy TV series where he voiced Zaheer, an airbender and the leader of the Red Lotus, an anarchist group that opposed the Avatar.
- He Never Died (2015): A horror comedy film where he played Jack, an immortal cannibal who tried to protect his daughter from his enemies.
- Adventure Time (2017): An animated comedy TV series where he voiced Bob Rainicorn, the father of Lady Rainicorn, one of the main characters.
- What radio and TV shows has Henry Rollins hosted?
Henry Rollins has hosted several radio and TV shows, such as:
- Harmony in My Head: A radio show on Indie 103 where he played music from various genres and shared his opinions and stories.
- The Henry Rollins Show: A TV show on IFC where he interviewed celebrities, musicians, writers, and activists, and performed spoken word segments.
- 120 Minutes: A TV show on MTV where he played alternative music videos and interviewed artists.
- 10 Things You Don’t Know About: A TV show on H2 where he explored the history and facts behind various topics, such as the American Revolution, the Civil War, the Founding Fathers, and the Presidents.
- What books has Henry Rollins written?
Henry Rollins has written over 20 books, including:
- Get in the Van: A memoir that chronicled his experiences with Black Flag from 1981 to 1986.
- Black Coffee Blues: A collection of journals, essays, and poems that reflected his thoughts and feelings on various topics, such as music, travel, relationships, and society.
- The Portable Henry Rollins: A compilation of his writings from various sources, such as books, magazines, albums, and shows.
- Eye Scream: A novel that explored the themes of violence, madness, and alienation through the eyes of a serial killer.
- Occupants: A book that combined his photographs and writings from his travels around the world.
- What causes has Henry Rollins supported?
Henry Rollins has supported various causes, such as:
- Human rights: He has spoken out against racism, sexism, homophobia, and other forms of discrimination and oppression. He has also advocated for the rights of women, LGBTQ+ people, immigrants, refugees, and prisoners.
- Animal rights: He has opposed animal cruelty and exploitation. He has also promoted veganism and vegetarianism as ethical and healthy lifestyles.
- Environmentalism: He has raised awareness and funds for environmental issues, such as climate change, pollution, deforestation, and wildlife conservation.
- Education: He has supported education and literacy programs, such as the World Literacy Foundation and the National Coalition Against Censorship. He has also donated books to schools and libraries around the world.
- Health: He has supported health and wellness initiatives, such as the MusiCares Foundation and the Suicide Prevention Lifeline. He has also participated in campaigns to fight against diseases, such as HIV/AIDS, malaria, and tuberculosis.
- What awards and honors has Henry Rollins received?
Henry Rollins has received several awards and honors for his work and achievements, such as:
- Grammy Award: He won a Grammy Award for Best Spoken Word Album in 1995 for Get in the Van.
- Kerrang! Icon Award: He received the Kerrang! Icon Award in 2007 for his influence and contribution to rock music.
- GLAAD Media Award: He received the GLAAD Media Award for Outstanding Music Artist in 2012 for his album Occupants.
- Inkpot Award: He received the Inkpot Award in 2014 for his achievements in comics and related arts.
- Humanitarian Award: He received the Humanitarian Award from the Animal Rights Foundation of Florida in 2016 for his advocacy for animal rights.