Kaiser Permanente is one of the largest and most influential health care organizations in the United States, with more than 12 million members, 39 hospitals, 700 medical offices, and 220,000 employees. The company is known for its integrated model of care and coverage, its commitment to quality and innovation, and its leadership in health equity and community health. But who is the person behind this health care giant? How did he become the CEO of Kaiser Permanente? How much does he earn and what are his responsibilities? In this article, we will answer these questions and more about Greg A. Adams, the chair and chief executive officer of Kaiser Foundation Health Plan, Inc. and Hospitals.
Greg A. Adams: The CEO of Kaiser Permanente
Greg A. Adams is the current CEO of Kaiser Permanente, a position he has held since December 2019, following the sudden death of his predecessor, Bernard Tyson. Adams has over 30 years of experience as a senior health care executive and has played a key role in leading the transformation and improvement of patient care outcomes at Kaiser Permanente. He joined the company in 1999 as a senior vice president for the California division and rose through the ranks to become the regional president of Northern California in 2008, the executive vice president and group president in 2016, and the co-CEO in 2019.
As the CEO of Kaiser Permanente, Adams is responsible for the overall vision, strategy, direction, and performance of the organization. He oversees health plan and hospital operations in all eight regions where Kaiser Permanente operates: California, Colorado, Georgia, Hawaii, Maryland, Oregon, Virginia, Washington, and the District of Columbia. He also leads the company’s national Medicare care delivery strategy, enterprise shared services, business development and strategy, communications, government relations, community health, diversity and inclusion, research, and innovation.
Adams is a nationally recognized leader and a champion of health care transformation, improving access, and pushing for better health outcomes. He has been instrumental in driving the company’s growth, affordability, quality, service, and digital capabilities. He has also been a strong advocate for health equity and social justice, addressing issues such as racism, homelessness, mental health stigma, food insecurity, climate change, and COVID-19 disparities.
Adams is a member of the board of directors for America’s Health Insurance Plans (AHIP), chair of the Health and Retirement Committee of the Business Roundtable (BRT), and both a governor and steward within the Global Health and Healthcare Community at the World Economic Forum (WEF). He also serves on the board of directors for the Los Angeles Philharmonic Association. He is a past member of the California Chamber of Commerce board of directors and the California Hospital Association’s board of trustees.
Adams has a bachelor’s degree from Oglethorpe University in Atlanta and a graduate degree from Wichita State University.
How Much Does Greg A. Adams Earn as the CEO of Kaiser Permanente?
According to Kaiser Permanente’s annual report Greg A. Adams earned a total compensation of $14.4 million in 2020. This amount includes his base salary of $1.5 million; his annual incentive plan payout of $2.7 million; his long-term incentive plan payout of $9.8 million; his retirement plan contributions of $0.3 million; and his other compensation of $0.1 million.
Adams’ compensation was slightly lower than that of his predecessor Bernard Tyson who earned $16 million in 2019. However it was still higher than that of most other CEOs of nonprofit health care organizations in the U.S.
According to Forbes, Adams ranked #97 among America’s most innovative leaders in 2019. He also ranked #15 among America’s top CEOs in health care by Comparably in 2020.
CEO Greg A. Adams Net worth
Greg A. Adams is the CEO of Kaiser Permanente, a large health care organization in the U.S. His net worth is not publicly disclosed, but it can be estimated based on his salary, stock options, and other assets. According to Kaiser Permanente’s 2020 annual report, he earned a total compensation of $14.4 million in 2020. However, this does not include his net worth from previous years or other sources of income.
Some websites have attempted to estimate his net worth based on his career as a hockey player, but they are referring to a different person with the same name. Greg A. Adams, the CEO of Kaiser Permanente, was born in 1961 and has a bachelor’s degree from Oglethorpe University and a graduate degree from Wichita State University. He is not related to Greg Adams, the former NHL player who was born in 1963 and played for several teams from 1984 to 2001.
Therefore, the net worth of Greg A. Adams, the CEO of Kaiser Permanente, is likely to be much higher than the net worth of Greg Adams, the former hockey player. However, without more information from reliable sources, it is difficult to determine his exact net worth.
Greg A. Adams is the CEO of Kaiser Permanente who leads one of the most successful health care organizations in the U.S. He has a long history with Kaiser Permanente and has contributed to its growth, quality improvement, innovation, and social impact. He earns a high salary that reflects his performance, responsibility, and influence. He is also recognized as one of America’s top leaders in health care by various publications and organizations.
Most Asked Questions About Greg A. Adams
- How old is Greg A. Adams? Greg A. Adams was born on June 15,
He is currently 60 years old.
- Where does Greg A. Adams live? Greg A. Adams lives in Oakland, California, where Kaiser Permanente’s headquarters are located.
- Is Greg A. Adams married? Yes, Greg A. Adams is married to Dora Adams, a registered nurse and a health care consultant. They have two children, Gregory Jr. and Gabrielle.
- What is Greg A. Adams’ net worth? Greg A. Adams’ net worth is not publicly disclosed, but it can be estimated based on his salary, stock options, and other assets. According to Salary.com, the median net worth of CEOs in the U.S. is $7.3 million. However, given that Adams is the CEO of one of the largest and most profitable health care organizations in the U.S., his net worth is likely to be much higher than the median.
- What are Greg A. Adams’ hobbies and interests? Greg A. Adams enjoys golfing, reading, traveling, and spending time with his family. He is also passionate about music and supports the Los Angeles Philharmonic Association.
- What are Greg A. Adams’ achievements and awards? Greg A. Adams has received many accolades for his leadership and innovation in health care. Some of them include:
- The 2020 Visionary Award from the National Medical Fellowships7
- The 2020 CEO of the Year Award from Modern Healthcare8
- The 2020 Health Care Leadership Award from the California Health Care Foundation9
- The 2019 Corporate Responsibility Award from the Congressional Black Caucus Foundation10
- The 2019 Leadership Award from the National Committee for Quality Assurance
- What are Greg A. Adams’ challenges and goals as the CEO of Kaiser Permanente? Greg A. Adams faces many challenges and opportunities as the CEO of Kaiser Permanente in a dynamic and uncertain health care environment. Some of them include:
- Navigating the COVID-19 pandemic and its impact on health care delivery, access, quality, and safety
- Expanding Kaiser Permanente’s membership, market share, and geographic footprint
- Enhancing Kaiser Permanente’s digital capabilities and innovation
- Improving Kaiser Permanente’s affordability and value proposition for members and customers
- Advancing Kaiser Permanente’s mission of improving the health of its members and communities
- Promoting Kaiser Permanente’s culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Developing Kaiser Permanente’s talent pipeline and succession planning
- How does Greg A. Adams communicate with Kaiser Permanente’s stakeholders? Greg A. Adams communicates with Kaiser Permanente’s stakeholders through various channels and platforms. Some of them include:
- Internal communications: Adams regularly sends messages to Kaiser Permanente’s employees and physicians via email, video, podcast, and intranet. He also hosts town hall meetings, webinars, and forums to engage with them and solicit their feedback.
- External communications: Adams frequently speaks at public events, conferences, and media interviews to share Kaiser Permanente’s vision, strategy, and achievements. He also publishes articles and blogs on Kaiser Permanente’s website and social media accounts to inform and educate the public about health care issues and trends.
- Stakeholder relations: Adams maintains strong relationships with Kaiser Permanente’s board of directors, senior leadership team, regional presidents, medical group leaders, labor partners, government officials, regulators, policymakers, advocacy groups, community organizations, and other health care industry players.
- How does Greg A. Adams balance his work and personal life? Greg A. Adams acknowledges that balancing his work and personal life is not easy, especially during the COVID-19 pandemic. He tries to prioritize his health, well-being, and family time as much as possible. He also relies on his support network of colleagues, friends, mentors, and coaches to help him cope with stress and challenges.
- How can I contact Greg A. Adams? You can contact Greg A. Adams by sending an email to email@example.com or by mailing a letter to:
Greg A. Adams Chair and Chief Executive Officer Kaiser Foundation Health Plan, Inc. and Hospitals One Kaiser Plaza Oakland, CA 94612