Kirby Smart is the head coach of the Georgia Bulldogs, one of the most successful college football teams in the nation. He has led the Bulldogs to two consecutive national championships in 2021 and 2022, and has established himself as one of the top coaches in the sport. But how much does he earn, what is his net worth, and what is his background? In this article, we will explore these questions and more.
Salary and Net Worth
Kirby Smart’s net worth is estimated to be around $35 million as of 2024. He is also one of the highest-paid college football coaches, earning an average of $11.25 million per year. His salary has increased significantly since he signed a 10-year, $115 million contract extension with the Bulldogs in July 2022. This deal made him the third-highest-paid coach in the country, behind only Nick Saban of Alabama and Mel Tucker of Michigan State.
Smart’s income is not only derived from his base salary, but also from various other sources, such as media compensation, endorsement deals, and performance-based bonuses. For example, he earns an additional $6.4 million in media pay annually for news conference appearances, regular radio shows, and television appearances. He also has lucrative endorsement deals, including apparel and equipment partnerships with Nike, which pay him a hefty $3.5 million per year. Furthermore, he receives various incentives for achieving certain milestones, such as winning the SEC championship, making the College Football Playoff, and securing the national championship. These bonuses can add up to millions of dollars each year.
Education and Bio
Kirby Smart was born on December 23, 1975, in Montgomery, Alabama. He grew up in a football-loving family, as his father, Sonny Smart, was a high school football coach. He attended Bainbridge High School in Georgia, where he played as a defensive back and was named the Georgia Class AAAA Defensive Player of the Year in 1992. He then enrolled at the University of Georgia, where he continued to play as a defensive back for the Bulldogs from 1995 to 1998. He earned a bachelor’s degree in finance in 1998 and a master’s degree in physical education in 2003 from UGA.
Smart began his coaching career in 1999, as an administrative assistant at Georgia. He then worked as a defensive backs coach at various schools, such as Valdosta State, Florida State, LSU, and the Miami Dolphins. In 2007, he joined Nick Saban’s staff at Alabama as the defensive coordinator, a position he held until 2015. During his tenure at Alabama, he helped the Crimson Tide win four national championships and was named the Broyles Award winner as the nation’s top assistant coach in 2009.
In 2015, Smart was hired as the head coach of his alma mater, Georgia, replacing Mark Richt. He quickly turned the program around, leading the Bulldogs to their first SEC
Achievements and Awards
Since taking over as the head coach of Georgia, Smart has achieved remarkable success and recognition. He has led the Bulldogs to two consecutive national championships in 2021 and 2022, defeating Alabama and Ohio State respectively . He has also won three SEC championships, four SEC East division titles, and two Rose Bowl titles. He has a career record of 82-12 as of 2024, with a winning percentage of .872. He has been named the SEC Coach of the Year twice, in 2017 and 2021, and the AP National Coach of the Year once, in 2021. He has also been a finalist for the Eddie Robinson Award, the Paul “Bear” Bryant Award, and the George Munger Award, all of which honor the best coach in college football.
Smart is not only a successful coach, but also a mentor and a leader for his players. He has helped develop many talented players who have gone on to play in the NFL, such as Roquan Smith, Nick Chubb, Sony Michel, Jake Fromm, Andrew Thomas, and Azeez Ojulari. He has also fostered a culture of excellence, discipline, and teamwork among his team, as well as a strong bond with the fans and the community. He is widely respected and admired by his peers, his players, and his supporters.
Kirby Smart is one of the most accomplished and influential coaches in college football today. He has transformed Georgia into a powerhouse program, winning multiple national and conference championships. He has also amassed a fortune from his salary and other sources of income, making him one of the richest coaches in the sport. He has a remarkable background, having played and coached under some of the best coaches in the history of the game. He has also earned numerous awards and accolades for his coaching performance and leadership. He is a true legend of the game and a role model for many aspiring coaches and players.
Most Asked Questions and Answers
Here are some of the most asked questions and answers about Kirby Smart and his career:
- Q: How old is Kirby Smart?
- A: Kirby Smart is 48 years old as of 2024. He was born on December 23, 1975.
- Q: How tall is Kirby Smart?
- A: Kirby Smart is 5 feet 11 inches (1.80 m) tall.
- Q: How much does Kirby Smart weigh?
- A: Kirby Smart weighs 200 pounds (91 kg).
- Q: Is Kirby Smart married?
- A: Yes, Kirby Smart is married to Mary Beth Lycett, a former basketball player at Georgia. They have three children: twins Weston and Julia, and Andrew.
- Q: Where does Kirby Smart live?
- A: Kirby Smart lives in Athens, Georgia, where he owns a $2.7 million mansion.
- Q: What is Kirby Smart’s coaching philosophy?
- A: Kirby Smart’s coaching philosophy is based on the principles of hard work, accountability, toughness, and execution. He believes in building a strong defense, running the ball effectively, and playing with passion and intensity. He also emphasizes the importance of recruiting, developing, and retaining the best players for his system.
- Q: Who are Kirby Smart’s mentors?
- A: Kirby Smart’s mentors are Nick Saban, Bobby Bowden, and his father, Sonny Smart. He learned a lot from Saban, who was his boss at Alabama for nine years and taught him how to run a successful program. He also admired Bowden, who was his coach at Florida State and inspired him to pursue a coaching career. He also credits his father, who was a high school football coach and instilled in him a love for the game and a respect for the profession.
- Q: What are Kirby Smart’s hobbies?
- A: Kirby Smart’s hobbies include golfing, fishing, hunting, and spending time with his family. He is an avid golfer, who plays regularly with his friends and colleagues. He also enjoys fishing and hunting, especially in his hometown of Bainbridge, Georgia. He also loves to spend time with his wife and kids, and often takes them to games and events.
- Q: What are Kirby Smart’s goals?
- A: Kirby Smart’s goals are to continue to win championships, to maintain a high standard of excellence, and to make a positive impact on his players and his community. He wants to keep Georgia at the top of college football, competing for national and conference titles every year. He also wants to uphold the tradition and reputation of Georgia, and to represent the school with pride and integrity. He also wants to make a difference in the lives of his players, helping them grow as athletes and as people. He also wants to give back to his community, supporting various causes and charities.
- Q: What are some of the challenges that Kirby Smart faces?
- A: Some of the challenges that Kirby Smart faces are the high expectations, the fierce competition, and the constant pressure that come with being the head coach of Georgia. He has to deal with the demands and scrutiny of the fans, the media, and the administration, who expect him to win every game and every title. He also has to face the tough opponents, especially in the SEC, who are always looking to dethrone him and his team. He also has to cope with the stress and the workload that come with his job, which can take a toll on his health and his personal life.