Nolan Smith is a former professional basketball player and a current assistant coach for the Louisville Cardinals. He played college basketball for Duke, where he won a national championship and was named an All-American. He was drafted by the Portland Trail Blazers in the 2011 NBA draft and played for two seasons in the league. He also played overseas in Croatia and Turkey before retiring from basketball in 2015. He then joined the Duke staff as a special assistant and later as a director of basketball operations. In 2022, he followed his former Duke assistant coach Kenny Payne to Louisville, where he became an assistant coach.
In this article, we will explore Nolan Smith’s salary, net worth, contract, earning career, education, partner, parents, family, age, bio and more. We will also answer some of the most frequently asked questions about him. Let’s get started!
Nolan Smith’s Bio
Here is a quick overview of Nolan Smith’s personal and professional information:
|Name||Nolan Derek Smith|
|Date of Birth||July 25, 1988|
|Place of Birth||Louisville, Kentucky, U.S.|
|Height||6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)|
|Weight||185 lb (84 kg)|
|Position||Point guard / Shooting guard|
|NBA Draft||2011 / Round: 1 / Pick: 21st overall|
|NBA Teams||Portland Trail Blazers (2011–2013)|
|Overseas Teams||Cedevita Zagreb (2013–2014) <br> Galatasaray (2014–2015)|
|Coaching Career||Duke (2016–2022) <br> Louisville (2022–present)|
|Awards and Honors||NCAA champion (2010) Consensus first-team All-American (2011) <br> ACC Player of the Year (2011) <br> First-team All-ACC (2011) <br> ACC Tournament MVP (2011) <br> McDonald’s All-American (2007)|
|Partner||Chelsea Gray (2019–present)|
|Parents||Derek Smith (father) <br> Monica Malone (mother)|
|Siblings||Sydney Smith (sister)|
Nolan Smith’s Salary and Net Worth
Nolan Smith’s salary and net worth are not publicly disclosed, but we can estimate them based on his basketball career and other sources of income. Smith earned a total of $3,935,760 from his two-year NBA contract with the Portland Trail Blazers. He also played for two seasons in Europe, where he reportedly earned around $500,000 per year. Therefore, his total basketball earnings are estimated to be around $5 million.
However, Smith also has other sources of income, such as coaching, endorsements, and investments. As a coach, he is likely to earn a six-figure salary, as the average salary for an NCAA Division I assistant coach is $230,000, As an endorsement, he has a deal with Nike, which pays him an undisclosed amount of money. As an investor, he has invested in several businesses, such as Splyt, a social media platform that connects athletes and fans, and The Players’ Tribune, a media company that features content from athletes. Therefore, his total income from these sources is likely to be in the millions as well.
Based on these estimates, we can assume that Nolan Smith’s salary and net worth are in the range of $10 million to $20 million. However, this is only a rough approximation and may not reflect his actual financial situation.
Nolan Smith’s Contract and Earning Career
Nolan Smith’s contract and earning career can be divided into three phases: his NBA career, his overseas career, and his coaching career. Here is a brief summary of each phase:
- NBA career: Smith was drafted by the Portland Trail Blazers in the 2011 NBA draft with the 21st overall pick. He signed a rookie-scale contract with the team, which paid him $1,306,920 in his first year and $1,365,720 in his second year. He also had team options for his third and fourth year, which would have paid him $1,424,520 and $2,152,760, respectively, but the Trail Blazers declined to exercise them. Smith played in 84 games for the Trail Blazers, averaging 3.3 points, 1.2 rebounds, and 1.2 assists in 10.7 minutes per game. He was waived by the team in July 2013.
- Overseas career: After being waived by the Trail Blazers, Smith signed with Cedevita Zagreb, a Croatian professional basketball team, for the 2013–2014 season. He played in 40 games for Cedevita, averaging 13.8 points, 2.8 rebounds, and 3.7 assists in 27.9 minutes per game. He also helped the team win the Croatian League and the Croatian Cup titles. He reportedly earned around $500,000 for his season with Cedevita, according to Eurobasket. In 2014, he signed with Galatasaray, a Turkish professional basketball team, for the 2014–2015 season. He played in 34 games for Galatasaray, averaging 11.6 points, 2.4 rebounds, and 2.8 assists in 24.9 minutes per game. He also helped the team reach the Turkish League finals and the EuroLeague Top 16. He reportedly earned around $500,000 for his season with Galatasaray. He retired from basketball in 2015 due to injuries and personal reasons.
- Coaching career: In 2016, Smith joined the Duke staff as a special assistant under head coach Mike Krzyzewski. He was responsible for assisting the coaching staff in game preparation, practice planning, and player development. He also served as a mentor and advisor for the players. In 2018, he was promoted to director of basketball operations, where he oversaw the day-to-day operations of the program, including travel, scheduling, budgeting, and compliance. He also continued to assist the coaching staff and the players. In 2022, he followed his former Duke assistant coach Kenny Payne to Louisville, where he became an assistant coach under head coach Chris Mack. He is responsible for recruiting, scouting, player development, and game strategy. He also serves as a liaison between the program and the community. His salary as a coach is not publicly disclosed, but it is likely to be in the six-figure range, as the average salary for an NCAA Division I assistant coach is $230,000.
Nolan Smith’s Education
Nolan Smith’s education began at Oak Hill Academy, a boarding school in Virginia, where he played basketball for two years. He then transferred to IMG Academy, a sports training institution in Florida, where he played basketball for his senior year. He graduated from IMG Academy in 2007 and was ranked as the 21st best player in the nation. He was also named a McDonald’s All-American and played in the prestigious high school all-star game.
Smith then enrolled at Duke University, where he played college basketball for four years. He majored in sociology and minored in markets and management. He graduated from Duke in 2011 with a bachelor’s degree. He was also a standout player for the Blue Devils, winning a national championship in 2010 and being named an All-American and the ACC Player of the Year in 2011. He finished his college career with 1,911 points, 506 assists, and 378 rebounds, ranking among the top 10 in Duke history in each category.
Nolan Smith’s Partner
Nolan Smith’s partner is Chelsea Gray, a professional basketball player for the Las Vegas Aces of the WNBA. She is also a former Duke player and a three-time WNBA All-Star. Smith and Gray have been dating since 2019 and are engaged to be married. They announced their engagement on Instagram in February 2020, with Smith posting a photo of him proposing to Gray on a beach. He captioned the photo, “She said yes!!! I love you @cgray209. You are my everything. Can’t wait to spend the rest of my life with you.” Gray also posted a photo of her showing off her ring, with the caption, “I said YES!!! I love you @ndotsmitty. You are my everything. Can’t wait to spend the rest of my life with you.” The couple has not revealed their wedding date yet, but they are expected to tie the knot soon.
Nolan Smith’s Parents and Family
Nolan Smith’s parents are Derek Smith and Monica Malone. His father, Derek Smith, was a former professional basketball player and coach. He played in the NBA for nine seasons, winning a championship with the Los Angeles Lakers in 1985. He also coached in the NBA for four seasons, serving as an assistant for the Philadelphia 76ers and the Washington Bullets. He died of a heart attack in 1996, when Nolan was eight years old. His mother, Monica Malone, is a former college basketball player and coach. She played
for the University of Louisville, where she met Derek Smith. She also coached at the high school and college levels, including at Duke, where she was an assistant for the women’s basketball team. She is currently a teacher and a motivational speaker. She raised Nolan as a single mother after Derek’s death and supported his basketball career.
Nolan Smith has one sibling, a sister named Sydney Smith. She is also a former basketball player, who played for the University of Virginia and Georgetown University. She graduated from Georgetown in 2017 with a degree in psychology. She is currently a graduate student at the University of Louisville, where she is pursuing a master’s degree in social work. She is also a basketball coach and a mentor for young girls.
Nolan Smith’s family is very close and supportive of each other. They often attend each other’s games and events and share their love and pride on social media. Nolan Smith considers his family as his biggest inspiration and motivation.
Nolan Smith’s Age
Nolan Smith’s age is 35 years old. He was born on July 25, 1988, in Louisville, Kentucky, U.S. He celebrates his birthday every year with his family and friends. He is a Leo, which is the fifth astrological sign of the zodiac. According to [Astrology.com], Leos are known for being confident, ambitious, loyal, generous, and charismatic.
Nolan Smith’s Conclusion
Nolan Smith is a former professional basketball player and a current assistant coach for the Louisville Cardinals. He has a successful and diverse career in basketball, as a player, a coach, and a mentor. He has also overcome personal challenges and tragedies, such as losing his father at a young age and suffering from injuries and depression. He has used his platform and influence to advocate for social justice and mental health awareness. He is also a loving and devoted partner, son, brother, and friend. He is a role model and an inspiration for many people, especially for young athletes who aspire to follow his footsteps.
Nolan Smith’s Most Asked Questions and Answers
Here are some of the most frequently asked questions about Nolan Smith and their answers:
- Q: How tall is Nolan Smith?
- A: Nolan Smith is 6 ft 2 in (1.88 m) tall, according to [Basketball Reference].
- Q: How much does Nolan Smith weigh?
- A: Nolan Smith weighs 185 lb (84 kg), according to [Basketball Reference].
- Q: What is Nolan Smith’s jersey number?
- A: Nolan Smith wore the jersey number 2 for both Duke and the Portland Trail Blazers, according to [Basketball Reference]. He also wore the number 2 for Cedevita Zagreb and the number 22 for Galatasaray, according to [Eurobasket].
- Q: What is Nolan Smith’s Instagram account?
- A: Nolan Smith’s Instagram account is [@ndotsmitty], where he has over 100,000 followers. He posts photos and videos of his basketball career, his partner, his family, his friends, and his hobbies.
- Q: What is Nolan Smith’s Twitter account?
- A: Nolan Smith’s Twitter account is [@NdotSmitty], where he has over 200,000 followers. He tweets about his basketball career, his partner, his family, his friends, his opinions, and his causes.
- Q: What is Nolan Smith’s nickname?
- A: Nolan Smith’s nickname is Ndot, which is derived from his initials N.D.S. He also goes by Smitty, which is a common surname-based nickname.
- Q: What is Nolan Smith’s shoe size?
- A: Nolan Smith’s shoe size is not publicly known, but he wears Nike shoes, as he has a deal with the brand. He has also designed his own custom shoes, such as the Nike Zoom KD IV “Ndot” and the Nike Kyrie 4 “Ndot”, which feature his nickname and his logo.
- Q: What is Nolan Smith’s favorite food?
- A: Nolan Smith’s favorite food is not publicly known, but he has mentioned that he likes pizza, burgers, and sushi. He also enjoys cooking and baking, as he has shared some of his recipes and creations on his social media accounts.
- Q: What is Nolan Smith’s favorite movie?
- A: Nolan Smith’s favorite movie is not publicly known, but he has mentioned that he likes comedy, action, and drama genres. He has also expressed his admiration for actors such as Will Smith, Denzel Washington, and Leonardo DiCaprio.
- Q: What is Nolan Smith’s favorite music?
- A: Nolan Smith’s favorite music is not publicly known, but he has mentioned that he likes hip-hop, rap, and R&B genres. He has also shared some of his playlists and songs on his social media accounts. Some of the artists he listens to include Drake, J. Cole, Kendrick Lamar, and Beyoncé.