The Japanese Government (MEXT) Scholarship is a prestigious program that offers scholarships to international students who wish to study at Japanese universities and schools. The scholarship covers tuition fees, monthly allowance, round-trip airfare, and other expenses. The scholarship is available for various levels and fields of study, such as undergraduate, graduate, specialized training, college of technology, Japanese studies, and teacher training.
What is the MEXT Scholarship?
MEXT stands for Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology of Japan. The MEXT Scholarship is one of the most prestigious and competitive scholarships in the world that aims to foster friendship and mutual understanding between Japan and other countries through cultural and academic exchange.
The MEXT Scholarship offers two types of recommendations: embassy recommendation and university recommendation. The embassy recommendation is conducted by the Japanese embassies or consulates general in each country, while the university recommendation is conducted by the Japanese universities that accept MEXT scholars.
The MEXT Scholarship has different categories and requirements depending on the level and field of study. The following table summarizes the main features of each category:
|Category||Level of Study||Duration||Fields of Study||Eligibility|
|Research Students||Master’s or Doctoral degree||2-3 years (including 6 months of Japanese language training)||Any field (the same or related to the applicant’s previous major)||Bachelor’s degree or higher; born on or after April 2, 1984|
|Undergraduate Students||Bachelor’s degree||4-5 years (including 1 year of Japanese language training)||Social Sciences and Humanities or Natural Sciences||High school diploma or higher; 17-25 years old|
|Specialized Training School Students||Diploma or Certificate||3 years (including 1 year of Japanese language training)||Technology, Personal Care and Nutrition, Education and Welfare, Business, Fashion and Home Economics, Culture and General Education, etc.||High school diploma or higher; 17-25 years old|
|College of Technology Students||Associate degree||4-5 years (including 1 year of Japanese language training)||Mechanical Engineering, Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Information Engineering, Civil Engineering and Architecture, Chemical Engineering, etc.||High school diploma or higher; 17-25 years old|
|Japanese Studies Students||Non-degree||1 year (no Japanese language training)||Japanese Language, Japanese Affairs, Japanese Culture, etc.||Enrolled as undergraduate students in faculties or schools which major in Japanese language or Japanese culture; 18-30 years old|
|Teacher Training Students||Non-degree||1.5 years (including 6 months of Japanese language training)||Education Systems, School Management, Teaching Methods, Curriculum Development, etc.||Graduated from a teacher training school or have more than five years’ experience as a teacher; under 35 years old|
OPENING DATE AND CLOSED DATE
Police constable salary scale
The MEXT Scholarship 2024 open date and close date may vary depending on the type of recommendation and category. However, based on the previous year’s schedule, some tentative dates are:
- For embassy recommendation, the application deadline is usually around June of the previous year. For example, for MEXT Scholarship 2024, the application deadline is June 5, 2023, for research students, and June 30, 2023, for undergraduate students.
- For university recommendations, the application deadline is usually around October or November of the previous year. For example, for MEXT Scholarship 2024, the application deadline is October 31, 2023, for research students.
- The final results of the scholarship selection are usually announced around February or March of the year of arrival in Japan. For example, for MEXT Scholarship 2024, the final results are expected to be announced by February 2024.
- These dates are subject to change and may differ according to the country of your nationality and the university of your choice.
How to apply for the MEXT Scholarship?
The application process for the MEXT Scholarship varies depending on the type of recommendation and category. However, some general steps are:
- Check the eligibility criteria and application guidelines for each category on the website of Study in Japan (https://www.studyinjapan.go.jp/en/smap-stopj-applications.html).
- Prepare the required documents for application, such as application form, academic transcripts, certificate of health, recommendation letter, field of study and research plan, etc.
- Submit the application documents to the Japanese embassy or consulate general in your country by the deadline for the embassy recommendation, or to the Japanese university by the deadline for the university recommendation.
- Take the written exams (Japanese and English) and interview conducted by the Japanese embassy or consulate general for the embassy recommendation.
- Obtain admission or a letter of provisional acceptance from one or more Japanese universities for the university recommendation.
- Wait for the final results of the scholarship selection announced by MEXT through the Japanese embassy or consulate general for the embassy recommendation, or through the Japanese university for the university recommendation.
- Prepare for departure to Japan after receiving the official notification of acceptance from MEXT.
What are the eligibility criteria for the MEXT Scholarship?
The eligibility criteria for the MEXT Scholarship vary depending on the category and level of study. However, some general requirements are:
- Applicants must be Bangladeshi citizens who have completed or are expected to complete their previous level of education by March 2023.
- Applicants must be born on or after April 2, 1988 for undergraduate and specialized training programs, or on or after April 2, 1983 for graduate and teacher training programs.
- Applicants must have a good academic record and meet the minimum grade point average (GPA) requirement for each category.
- Applicants must be willing to learn the Japanese language and culture and receive education in the Japanese language.
- Applicants must have a clear purpose and plan of study in Japan and be able to adapt to life in Japan.
How to apply for the MEXT Scholarship 2023-2024?
The application process for the MEXT Scholarship consists of two stages: the first screening by the Embassy of Japan in Bangladesh and the second screening by MEXT in Japan. The application documents and guidelines can be downloaded from the website of the Embassy of Japan in Bangladesh (https://www.bd.emb-japan.go.jp/itpr_ja/00_000706.html).
The application deadline for each category is as follows:
- Research Students: Open Now
- Undergraduate Students: Open Now
- Specialized Training School Students: Open Now
- College of Technology Students: Open Now
- Japanese Studies Students: Open Now
- Teachers Training Students: Open Now
Applicants must submit their application documents to the Ministry of Education, Bangladesh by the respective deadlines. The Embassy of Japan in Bangladesh will conduct a document review, a written examination (Japanese and English), and an interview for the first screening. The results of the first screening will be announced by August 2023.
Applicants who pass the first screening must obtain admission or a letter of provisional acceptance from one or more Japanese universities or schools by October 31, 2023. The Embassy of Japan in Bangladesh will recommend the successful applicants to MEXT for the second screening. The final results of the second screening will be announced by February 2023.
What are the benefits of the MEXT Scholarship?
The MEXT Scholarship provides various benefits to the recipients, such as:
- Tuition fees: The scholarship covers the entrance examination fees, admission fees and tuition fees at Japanese universities or schools.
- Monthly allowance: The scholarship provides a monthly stipend of approximately JPY 117,000 for undergraduate and specialized training students, JPY 120,000 for college of technology students, JPY 143,000 for research students (non-regular students), JPY 144,000 for research students (regular students) and JPY 143,000 for teacher training students. The amount is subject to change depending on the annual budget of MEXT.
- Airfare: The scholarship covers a round-trip economy class air ticket between Dhaka and Japan. The recipients must travel on a date designated by MEXT or the accepting university or school.
- Other expenses: The scholarship covers some other expenses related to studying in Japan, such as visa fees, transportation fees within Japan, and medical insurance.
What are some frequently asked questions about the MEXT Scholarship?
Here are some common questions and answers about the MEXT Scholarship:
- Q: Can I choose any university or school in Japan?
- A: No, you can only choose from the universities or schools that accept MEXT Scholarship students. You can find a list of them on the website of Study in Japan (https://www.studyinjapan.go.jp/en/smap_stopj-applications.html).
- Q: Can I change my field of study or major after arriving in Japan?
- A: No, you must study in the same field or major that you applied for. If you wish to change your field or major, you must obtain permission from MEXT and
What are the advantages of studying in Japan with the MEXT Scholarship?
Studying in Japan with the MEXT Scholarship is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity that can bring many benefits to the scholars, such as:
- Academic excellence: Japan is known for its high-quality education and research, especially in the fields of science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM). Scholars can learn from world-class professors and researchers, access state-of-the-art facilities and equipment, and participate in cutting-edge projects and innovations.
- Cultural diversity: Japan is a country with rich history, traditions and customs, as well as modern trends and lifestyles. Scholars can experience the unique aspects of Japanese culture, such as festivals, cuisine, arts and entertainment, while also interacting with people from different backgrounds and perspectives.
- Personal growth: Studying abroad can challenge scholars to step out of their comfort zone, adapt to new situations, and overcome difficulties. Scholars can develop various skills and competencies, such as language proficiency, intercultural communication, problem-solving and critical thinking, that can help them in their future endeavors.
- Career opportunities: Studying in Japan can open up many doors for scholars in terms of their career prospects. Scholars can build their network and connections with Japanese universities, companies and organizations, as well as other international students and alumni. Scholars can also leverage their academic qualifications, research achievements and cross-cultural experiences to pursue their goals and aspirations.
What are some success stories of MEXT Scholarship recipients?
There are many inspiring stories of MEXT Scholarship recipients who have achieved remarkable things in their academic and professional fields. Here are some examples:
- Dr. Anubrata Nath is a Bangladeshi researcher who received the MEXT Scholarship for his master’s and doctoral studies at Kyushu University. He specialized in nanotechnology and developed novel materials for energy conversion and storage applications. He received several awards and recognitions for his research, such as the Young Scientist Award from the International Association of Advanced Materials. He is currently working as a postdoctoral researcher at Kyushu University and aims to contribute to the global energy crisis through his work.
- Ms. Kate Jonai is a Filipino journalist who received the MEXT Scholarship for her master’s degree in journalism at Waseda University. She focused on media literacy and education, and conducted a comparative study on how media literacy is taught in Japan and the Philippines. She also worked as a reporter for various media outlets in Japan, such as NHK World-Japan and The Japan Times. She is currently working as a content writer for Schoolynk Media, an online platform that provides information and guidance for international students who want to study in Japan.
- Mr. Muhammad Zainul Abidin is an Indonesian entrepreneur who received the MEXT Scholarship for his bachelor’s degree in business administration at Ritsumeikan Asia Pacific University (APU). He co-founded an online marketplace called Halal Navi that connects Muslim travelers with halal-friendly restaurants and services in Japan. He also launched a social enterprise called Halal Expo Japan that promotes halal products and businesses in Japan. He was featured in Forbes 30 Under 30 Asia list in 2018 for his achievements.
These are just some of the many examples of how MEXT Scholarship recipients have made an impact in their respective fields and communities. They show that studying in Japan with the MEXT Scholarship can be a rewarding and fulfilling experience that can lead to success and happiness.
The MEXT Scholarship is a great opportunity for Bangladeshi students who want to pursue their higher education in Japan. The scholarship offers various benefits and advantages that can help scholars achieve their academic and career goals. The application process may be challenging, but it is worth the effort.
If you are interested in applying for the MEXT Scholarship 2023-2024, you should start preparing your documents and research plan as soon as possible. You should also check the website of the Embassy of Japan in Bangladesh regularly for updates and announcements. We hope this article has given you some useful information and tips on how to apply for the MEXT Scholarship 2024. We wish you all the best!